Thursday 6 August 2020

A day at the beach

Today we walked the length of Omaha beach all the way down to Colleville plage. I got to see a number of big chunks of concrete, and visited another museum. In the evening we walked up to Vierville again. I think we are parked at about the boundary of Dog Green and Dog White, and about where another defended position was but I can see no sign of it.

Sunset on Omaha Beach
Quite a dynamic statue at Vierville.

This chunk of concrete (Widerstandnest 61) has been converted to a summer home. The mortar position at rear seems to also have been turned into something. I believe this one housed an 88mm if anyone is interested.

During the day 4 Typhoons buzzed over and later they appear to have used their afterburners as they got quite noisy.

The beach here is amazingly wide at low tide. I estimate about 350m. Such a beautiful place to have such a bloody history. We both went for a swim. Well, J did, I just had a paddle.


Update. We just got out to watch a blood red moonrise. It's just past full so quite spectacular. It's a very clear night and for the first time in many years we could see the Milky Way, not just scattered stars and planets. It must have been the perfect time for it but we spotted a dozen or so satellites and I was two meteors, one quite a large slash of light, the other much shorter.




No comments: