Saturday 17 August 2019

Busy in Bergen

It was a working day in Bergen today. I had several photos to match, on both sides of the harbour. The day did not start well, as we had another power crisis so none of the devices were charged up: no camera,no phones, no laptop! How's that for timing? I put the camera on to charge 'til the last second as the MH batteries were getting some charge from solar. We got to the tram and I realised I had left the adapter for my laptop so I went back to Reggie. What was the first thing I saw? The bloody camera! If I hadn't remembered the adapter we would have been in town before I realised I didn't have the camera. Lucky? Anyway, we sat in the Tourist Information Office and charged everything up. It was midday before we got started, but at least the weather was holding.

Nice mural on a grey day


The subject of the article (thanks Festningsmuseum)

J from above

Bergen from above. This is from the Clarion Hotel, which used to be the harbour master's offices. The tower features in several of my matches.

Winner of the Norwegian Fish-dancing competition,1903


Yesterday we had seen that the Rosenkranztarnet was under scaffolding. Worse was to come. If you have a look at yesterdays post there's a few pics from up the mountain. In them you can (just) see a ship waiting in the roads. Well, sometime last night it and sister moored up where the Voorbode was, and being much larger completely blocked a key view across the harbour! Some times you are lucky, sometimes not. You can see it in the pic two above.

When we got back to our park we forgot to check  whether the pay machine was working. The carpark is very popular considering how rubbish it is, but the tram at the front gate is the big attraction. By another coincidence it happens to be only 10 mins from two other pieces of the stories I'm helping with: the first school the Taelavag children were sent to, and the cemetery where the Voorbode casualties were buried.

No comments: