Thursday 5 April 2007

Yesterday we were rung by R's granddaughter, to tell us that R was in hospital with abnominal bleeding. It was a bit of a shock, but when we visited he appeared to be much improved, although tests to establish what is wrong are continuing. Possible it is due to the Voltarin he's had to take for the pain of his broken ankle. Anyway, he was pretty chipper when we dropped in and was hoping to be sent home for Easter.

That night we had J's farewell after 16 years at school. It was a pleasant night although three staff members parked their cars in Smith City's car park and got locked in. While it was their own fault, it was a bit rank that the security firm wanted $45 per car to let them out. If it's a cost of their call out, why would it be per car? Anyhoo, we all had a good time and said many of our goodbyes.

On the last day of school I got a full five hours of teaching (that's what I'm supposed to be doing now). I figured out there had only been 5 days this term that I hadn't worked, and many of them had been 5 hours in the class room. I've yet to find the downside of relief teaching - no parent teacher interviews, no marking, no reports, no prep, no responsibility! I don't think you realise how much extra crap is wrapped around the teaching until you don't have to do it any more!

We had a call from the pommy agents the other night to talk about work opportunites. He didn't seem too well informed, asking J what she taught, and not knowing I was interested in 'support' (relief) teaching over there. However, he was quite positive about the possibilities in the south of England around Southampton, and we will hear from the Bristol agent sometime soon.

I took a break from Ellis to re-read a personal memoir by Gordon Slatter - One More River - who writes quite well of his experiences after joining the Div after Cassino. I'll try to map his progress on Google Earth. (Have I mentioned before how fantastic Google Earth is?) I've also watched a doco on Cassino from the War Channel on Sky. Some interesting film clips but the history was fluffy. I've actually met (briefly) one of the German guys they focused on - Herman Friess - who had knocked out 18 tanks in one week's fighting against the Canadians in May 1944.

We are off to Christchurch this afternoon to say arrivederci to family and friends. We are staying with W & R in their new B&B acccommodation at Amberley. R's parents are there so we will jack up a visit to them in Holland. I'll hand over all my Italy library to J and talk over progress on our book on Friday.

"Laters", as the girls like to say. (Or is that so last year?)

No comments: