Saturday 21 April 2007

Don't panic Mr Mannering!

There is a slight air of surrealism about us. Can we really have all our belongings in four bags at the bottom of our bed? Am I really being interviewed for jobs in a country that is half a world away? Are we really jumping on a plane in two days time?

The car has been taken away by its new owner who really did get a bargain. The buyer's father was a teacher who used to be at OBHS but is now in Manhattan. And he reads After the Battle, and has read the articles I contributed to! (By the way AH, they are the Tucker article and the Fall of Florence - please excuse my early onset Alzheimers moment.)

I just read an interesting book on the Mongol invasions of west Asia, Russia and eastern Europe, called Chinese Whispers, by Robert Sproat. It is supposed to be, in part, from translations of a newly discovered (at the time of writing) Secret Official History. I don't know anything of the period but it was at least entertaining. Like this:
"The waking thoughts of the seneschal of the keep at Sandomir on the Vistula, December, AD 1240. ".....arecomingtheTartarsarecomingtheTartarsarecomingtheTartarsarecomingtheTartarsarecomingtheTartarsare....."

From the walls of Cracow on 24 March, AD 1241, the pastrycook William, pressed into sentry duty in the absence of the city's regular garrison, addresses the citizenry shortly before deserting his post. "THE TARTARS ARE COME!" "

The papers are full of ANZAC Day but we'll be in the air, or newly arrived in London. It would have been a chance to try to track some 24Bn members down for my article. It is interesting that more and more are attending the parades, and should I ever actually write my book it suggests there will be a good audience.

We're off to see a motorhome show. This is one option for getting about in Europe.

D-Day - 2

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your trip.....I suppose that everything is okay.
Let me know if you need anything.
Vince. Orsogna