Saturday 7 April 2007

Easter Holidays

We drove up to W and R's new home on Thursday and only passed one accident. I've never been in an accident but I've seen heaps in my rear view mirror. (Just joking.) Traffic was heavy as you would expect at Easter, but it was also steady and not too many idiots.

The new home has two units almost ready for accommodating visitors. They are lovely and well appointed so we are rather spoilt. We're waiting for the bill... It's an exciting venture for the two of them so I hope it goes well.

R's parents are here again so it is nice to catch up with them. We are discussing a visit to Holland already. I have a book on the liberation of Walcheren Island to read before we get there and it may be the inspiration for another Then and Now (if it hasn't already been done).

I caught up with Jeff for the afternoon and handed over my library for safe keeping. We had a talk about what to hunt for while in Europe. It's going to be fun getting into those archives. J spent the afternoon playing petanque at W's parents' place. W came out the winner and isn't shy about reminding us!

We slept in today and missed the Easter Market, but it was raining anyway so we didn't mind. W and I had a look at his CMAK games in progress while the ladies went shopping at Northlands, then we had lunch in the food court. The mall was absolutely packed, but I wonder how many were actually buying. There weren't so many carrying bags for all the crowds.

On the way home we picked up a desk and a PC for the new business, and I'm christening it for them now. A pretty good deal for what they got I think. Thanks Warehouse Stationery.

We've just finished a meal at the Nor' Wester Restaurant in Amberley and it was very good. It is a little pricier than I would normally go, but very good food and wine so everyone was happy. I recommend the Chocolate Mud Cake, but then I would, wouldn't I.

I'm up to the 4th battle for Cassino in Ellis. It never fails to puzzle me how soldiers can get up and walk into near certain death as they did in these battles. The book describes how whole companies (120-180 men) were wiped out almost to the man, and yet the next would get up and do the same. No matter how much I study it, I will never really know what it was like. It's like erady a work of fiction really.

J is here to get me off the computer, so ciao for now.

1 comment:

Vince said...

Happy Easter, even if with delay....., I apologize......
Hope you are fine . I still don't know how this "blog" works....and if you have read my previous comment. Anyway , have my best wishes and greetings from Italy.
Vincenzo