Wednesday 25 April 2007

London

A computer mall
We spent the day wandering the shops of Singapore, and I finally managed to find the plastic cover for my Palm Pilot that I'd been looking for since losing the original in Italy in 2004! I was so happy I bought two. Then it was on to the plane which was a 747 this time around. Leg room was no better and to cap things off the git in front of me pushed her seat back as soon as possible. I made it my mission to kick the back as often as possible. God I'm evil...

We had the longest possible sunrise as we were chased west by the sun over Russia and into Sunrise over RussiaEurope. There was no cloud cover over the Caucasus and the lights of villages and towns were splayed out below us. The odd larger city would appear, but I had no map so they stayed anonymous. Berlin appeared and disappeared but there was cloud over much of Europe. Then we were flying over London, with lights as far as the horizon (from our much reduced height). The Heathrow flight-path is directly over the city, so we could make out the Thames barrage, the Eye, London Bridge and then we were down, landing at 0512.

We kept expecting a hiccup but there was none. No problem atLondon, with Tower bridge visible customs, all the bags arrived undamaged, there was no sight of a customs man, and no-one tried to rob us, blow us up, rip us off, or anything! J talked me into the sensible option of grabbing a Taxi to P&B's place in Streatham. A genuine black cab but £60 for both of us and all our baggage. Well worth the lack of stress I think. We pulled up just as B was leaving for work.

P&B's place is lovely, with a garden much like we'd have in NZ, except squirrels running around the trees. The sound of birds and trains was somehow comforting, although a horse and silkie (sp?) was unexpected. We had a cuppa, then when P went to work we hit the bed and slept like logs until 1100. It felt like 24 hours and it still seems strange that this is still Day 1.

So far though, we have each got a pre-paid phone, and we have been to the bank. Despite applying on-line and receiving pre-approval, opening this account is still going to take 5 working days! Ah, this is the system I remember from 15 years ago... We'll try a building society who may be more responsive.

So, we've negotiated the High St, and fallen into this Internet Cafe. It's only 50p per hour, a very good deal I thought. Spotting differences is the name of the game. One obvious difference from home is the cosmopolitan nature of the area. There are Indians, Eastern Europeans, Africans, Asians. Of course it is more crowded and the heavy traffic must struggle in these narrow streets, most of which haven't changed in several hundred years, and there are the familiar row houses, so often seen on TV.

We still don't know where we'll settle, but P has recommended somewhere on the commuter belt - that is, within easy commute of London. Reading, perhaps, or Oxford. We'll spend week in London getting our bearings then throw a dart at the map. 8-) I'm not sure if I'll teach at all now, as P has done a good job of scaring me off, explaining that the schools are much more difficult than at home. We'll see...

Click here for pictures of London.

1 comment:

Vince said...

Hi Perry & Judi. I am reading all about your "trip " and i liked pictures you put in your blog. Wiah you a very safe and confortable permanence in Europe.
Perry, you did not answer my early e mail, weeks ago. Let me know if you come in Italy and Orsogna, pls. Ciao for now.
Vincenzo