Friday 28 September 2007

Some news

Well, I got a full-time, short term job yesterday, working for LloydsTSB. It's not a career building move, but may help the bank balance. As in NZ, bank tellers/salespersons get rewarded for hitting targets. I am to check that those 'remunerations' are accurate. A boring job I think, but it ends in December and is at least a steady income. I got no work at all this week, so we desparately need me out and earning. I start at mid-day today. Oh god... what to wear?

The car struck problems on Js way to work yesterday - just what we need at this time. However, it may not be as serious as we first thought. The car was overheating and apparently our radiator is badly rusted, but we filled it with Stop Leak and will see how it goes. We also discovered a slow puncture in one of the tyres, so that will need repairing too. And I think the MoT (WoF) is overdue...

Last night we watched NZ lose to the Aussies in the Indoor Cricket World Cup. I have to say that I saw better players than some of these back in Christchurch, so I wonder whether the selection criteria was simply "Who can fundraise $5000?". In contrast, the Aussie U19 team was extremely sharp, and would have beaten any team in the tournament I think. They played some of the best indoor I've seen. The semi-finals are tonight, with NZ playing SA and Aus playing England, but there's Rugby on so we'll watch that I think. Seems strange that they'd put the ICWC on at the same time of year. Perhaps they thought they'd get some spillover coverage - "Rugby's not the only WC being played. Here in Bristol blah, blah..."

There was minor interest outside the window yesterday as a local office block got evacuated. They all assembled down our street which must be a block away from the office. Just as the last people arrived the all clear went, so those people didn't even stop walking.

Enjoy the games. Both should be close.

No comments: