Thursday 21 June 2007

Missing blogs?

My blogs from Monday and Tuesday seem to have disappeared into the ether. I can see them on my list of entries, but not when I look at the website. If you can see them, please add a comment.

On Wednesday I bussed into London. On arrival at the IWM I discovered they were booked up and I can't get in 'til next week. I hastily did some calling to book the other places and then headed out to the PRO which is always open. I arrived to find there had been a fire alarm so everyone was outside. Finally I was able to do some research and found some moderately useful stuff. It helped to be better prepared than last time. Each time we fill in a few more gaps, some large, some small.

The Earls Court YHA has been recently refurbished and is a clean and inviting hostel. My room turned out to be next to reception so every body coming in went through the door beside the room. The walls are paper thin as well. Then I found the new bunk beds are only 6 ft so I couldn't stretch out at all. Finally two of my room-mates were snorers. At 4:30 I got up and tried to sleep on a couch in the lounge, but although quieter this was just as uncomfortable, as the couches are two seaters. I reckon I got about 3 hours sleep, and my back is killing me. As soon as reception was opened I arranged to change rooms. We'll see if the new one is any quieter, although it still has the problem of short beds.
I walked down to the National Army Museum to find out what photos they have. They had enough to fill the day, but weren't as accessible as other archives. You couldn't make copies of any kind but even worse, the descriptions of items were not included with the photos themselves, and you couldn't access them except through the archivist. They really need to have these together. Some of the photos could be useful for us, and some for J's mates, but there was nothing really outstanding amongst them. Instead of another day there I'll go to the Sikorski tomorrow.

It had been a lovely day outside it would seem and walking back I took some shots of 'typical' London. It was so busy at reception that I couldn't get a cuppa for an hour! They had to turn people away so I was pleased I had booked. Maybe less so if I don't get a decent sleep...
BTW, nice to hear from you P and thanks for the update on the hockey. We always did have the potential to rip into each other, so nothing has changed. Say g'day to Murray and wish him good health.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello I can see them all.
I will point out that when the lovely J was trying the key in the wrong door her closely hovering mate was right beside her and he had not noticed the wrong number , the different picture on the wall. Atr least I noticed the neihbours door had turned blue....

Anonymous said...

that anonymous can not spell very well! must be in a hurry