Thursday 8 June 2023

A half-day off

 It's raining and the Rock is topped by clouds. No point rushing out.

Eventually we got to the border crossing and what a kerfuffle that was!

We walked the 10mins to the border control but when Judi went to enter she had my NZ passport. Back we went. We left my NZ passport in Reggie, picked up Judi's and off we went again. This time it turned out that I had entered Europe on my NZ passport (which we'd just left in Reggie). Back I went. Now armed with both we finally got through. So close to an hour just to cross the bloody border!



Entering Gibraltar involves walking across the airstrip.


Anyway, it was raining so we took local buses to each end of the Rock to get our bearings. No point going up as we wouldn't be able to see anything. It's a crowded country (dependency?) and I don't envy the bus drivers at all!

This is OS35 which got hit by another ship and started sinking. She was towed to this side of the Rock for salvage. Her fuel oil spilled so had to be cleaned up and a load of steel unloaded.

You may be able to see that she has broken in half. There's now one of those semi-submersible carrier ships there ready to take the two halves off for scrapping.

There are defences everywhere so I didn't bother with photos. Tomorrow...

No comments: