Sunday 7 October 2007

But life goes on

The good news is I have L5 on SA to win at 11-2, the pre-tournament odds. This bet is looking a lot better now, but with two upsets so far maybe Fiji will continue the trend?

We watched the Aus-Eng game at the local pub and the regulars were happy indeed. We had to make it clear we were Kiwis, and of course could afford to be magnanimous given we were going to win later that night. I suspect we'll get a ribbing when we goto watch today's games. Luckily I didn't get too mouthy at work since I'd just started so won't have to eat any humble pie there. I'll probably get sympathy instead which was not the expected situation prior to the weekend.

We watched the Kiwi game with an Italian family who live in the same block. Mapy comes from Bari so I was able to show her where I'd been when I was over there. She was rather surprised that I had been to places such as Orsogna and Lanciano which are not exactly on the beaten track. Andreo is from Milan, so they represent the great Italian divide. They were great hosts and interesting company, and Andreo has watched most of the RWC which is a little unusual for an Italian but less so for a Milanese. We tried to explain what a loss might mean for New Zealand but he thought I was exaggerating. We'll see - perhaps NZ has grown up after the last disappointment?

Today we walked to the Slow Food market, which was a little dull. J went off to the Debenhams 50% sale while I came home. We'll watch the games and in between there is a computer show on that we'll pop out to see. Exciting huh?

No comments: