Saturday 11 August 2007

Tuesday – back to Mignano

Today I took prints with me which made the job much easier, but it used up the first cartridge on our very cheap printer though and I had to buy refills which cost more than the printer! I got out to Mignano and had much more success in tracking down the locations, although it took some detective work to figure out where the old and new buildings were. A couple of young guys at the café I had lunch in were interested so I explained what I was doing. One said there was a way to get into the Castello but I couldn’t find it when I tried. I’ll ask again next time.

The next series of shots was around where 22 Bn had camped. I found the first one just where Google Earth had shown it. The next lot were in a village called Caspoli according to GE so I set off there but got onto a wild goose chase up through more brambles to some old buildings which were not the ones I wanted. Now my diesel was getting low so I headed off in search of a refill. I ended up having to circle all the way back to Mignano, then back to Caspoli where the actual location became obvious after I went up a back street. I was given the name of a local historian, but his gate was locked. He seems like a person I need to talk to so I’ll go back.

I headed back for one last set, and ended up talking (in Italian/English) to the owner of a property that I thought was another match. They knew of the films that had been made there and have invited J and I back for dinner. We’d better go prepared with photos of NZ and family, etc, because conversation will be difficult!

It was late when I got home. I slept well, with ear-plugs.

No comments: