Friday 23 March 2007

Another day, another $250...

Another school week over and we finish on a hot day for our long weekend. A beer seldom tasted as good as this first one.

Exactly a month to go. Judi and I had lunch in the sun, hoping for many more of the same. But where will it be? Tuscany? Santorini? Enfidaville? Hyde Park?

I've got a parting game of hockey on Sunday but my fitness level is very low. I'll be exhausted by the end of it that's for sure. Reminds me of the manner in which I joined the team. Uh Oh! Watch this space.

Judi's folks are up for dinner tonight, and we might also get to see that most elusive of animals, the university student daughter. Last night was the Y12 Formal and it was this event that seemed to see C blossom two years ago. Now she's got such self-confidence that we feel honoured to get a text! Still she needs to be self-sufficient since we are abandoning her. She didn't so much leave the nest as have the nest moved away from under her.

My research is in one of those hiatuses (sp?). I'm reading John Ellis' Cassino, A Hollow Victory which is OK so far, though perhaps not the rave it was made out to be. So far I prefer Hapgood & Richardson, but there is still a lot of reading to do. I did, however, get a letter from a veteran of the 22nd Battalion who has given some contacts to follow up for my article. I haven't been up to Ray's this week but will try to get there to do more on his memoirs. Spare time is running out...

Jeff is busy writing the text for our book on Cassino. He sent some drafts of a few chapters which look good. There's still a hell of a lot of writing to go though, and we have identified gaps in our photographic coverage of attacks other than Kiwi ones. Hopefully I can fill some of these in London.

Anyway, it's time for another beer.

Ciao

No comments: