Tuesday 12 May 2009

DIADEM

Last night, 65 years ago, the biggest artillery barrage ever experienced kicked off Operation DIADEM, the Allied attempt to crack the Gustav Line and ultimately capture Rome. Today I'm on my way again to sunny Italy to trace those events in photographs. A minor hiccup last night when Google Earth crashed without saving some work, but otherwise we're on track. Oh, except I'm on a borrowed laptop as mine, for various reasons, has not been repaired. And the memory that was supposed to have been a Christmas gift is still not here. Never do business with FastFlashMemory. Hopeless.

Last week I had my first week in a managerial role, and I think it went quite well. I managed to get some things done, including fixing some stained glass windows that had been bro
ken for over 7 years! I can't take all the glory for the jobs done as most were following up what the incumbent had been doing, but fortunately many came to fruition while I was there. JA and I may not have seen eye-to-eye but I have to give her credit for her high standards for the appearance of OGHS - this school could do with a bit more of that. Of course with just a week in hand I could put off the hard/dirty work, but it was fun all the same (and paid twice what I got at SGN). Hopefully I will see some differences when I get back. Depending on the health of the incumbent I may be asked to cover for longer. I've got plans already...

J says she'll miss me, but I'm sure she'll keep herself busy enough. I know I'll be flat-tack for the next two weeks. The tour group finally got another guide who will be the lead. He's led battlefield tours but not in the Cassino area, so I'll still get a say in what we see, while he does the shepherding. (I think.)

It has been lovely and sunny, though windy for a few days. I hope that isn't summer over then. J has been painting and I have to say I think she has some talent. She does sort of sketchy, almost cartoony paintings with pen and watercolour. (Some samples are on her website I think.) Otherwise she reads, while I do photomatching, etc. La dolce vita.

No comments: