Wednesday 27 May 2009

And cut to Bath



I'm home, and completely shattered. I have not slept before 12 for two weeks, nor woken after 7 and it has caught up with me. I need my beauty sleep as you all well know.

The trip was pretty good overall but with some downsides. I managed to find a great number of matches and met some pretty interesting people. I am happy with my guiding and my ability to do it professionally. I have also made some useful contacts in that regard that may open doors in the future.



I had a good penultimate day with PH being nerdy. He showed me a Bailey bridge still in everyday use (a single-single, just below Portello and Hove Dump). I showed him a part of the line we hadn't visited before where we found plenty of fragments to show that there had been a heavy bombardment of the area, and some weathered trenches and dugouts. Somewhere there in the undergrowth there may still be a concrete pillbox... We then revisited the bridge sites where between us we clarified some misconceptions and I avoided some embarrassment by deleting some mis-matches that could possibly have gone to print

Even the last day was useful as I zipped into Rome for some matches of the Abbey's artworks arriving in Piazza Venezia, visited the aerial photo archives, and later found the perfect gift for J

On the downside there is still a gap, though smaller, in our coverage of the Liri Valley that I am not happy with, and as before our coverage of the American battles is less than ideal. I may have some serious discussions with JP and the publishers to come

What I need to do ASAP is relabel the pics so I don't forget which is which, then get them off to JP.

Anyway, it's nice to be home with J, even if I'm too tired to appreciate it yet.

No comments: