Tuesday 11 December 2007

Hum ho

My assignment was extended so that gives us something to plan around. I asked the agent to ask for a pay rise, but I can't see her trying too hard, as it's probably too easy to just take the cut for doing nothing.

It's Christmas decoration time so the two page Lloyds TSB Health and Safety Guide to Christmas Decorations arrived in our emails. How nice that they care.

The last two reports I've tried running have fallen over, possibly for the same underlying cause, which this time is not me. 8-) Since this leaves me with spare time, I have decided to create a Documentation Guide so that we can improve the standards of our process documentation. Conventions, expectations, hints and tips, etc. Hell, it fills in the day. The trouble is that as fast as they are written, the processes change, sometimes drastically, so part of the Guide will be to manage these changes as well.

The other day I created a macro to copy some cells from one column to another. I then created a button on the spreadsheet and assigned the macro to it. S#!TSTORM! I apologised to my boss for causing a problem but he just said "IT'S NOT A PROBLEM. SOME PEOPLE HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN WORRY ABOUT HARMLESS BUTTONS", in a voice loud enough to carry almost everywhere. I wonder if the worrier got the message? I think he's a good manager from what I've seen of him.

J has started the new school, and is going to get it sorted. She's kind of the Clean-up Guy, like the character in Pulp Fiction. They just sound so disorganised at times, and the Local Education Offices (LEOs) seem incompetent. There's got to be something wrong with the job if two of her assignments have been due to stress leave of the incumbents.

I sent another request to Col Blimp for him to fax through the contract I signed, and CC'd his solicitor. There's probably steam coming out his ears about now, so I'll post his reply if I get one. He'll be tied up trying to find some medals I suppose...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

welcome to the world of office politics where some people get upset when you say the word fuck when you get a paper cut.

Cheers
Wayne