Tuesday 17 February 2009

A first

Well, for the first time in my working life I have been fired! And for thinking too much, or not being able to stop thinking if that's any different. Basically they introduced targets that could only be met by turning your brain off and getting into a 'zone' and I just couldn't do it. I explained this to them and suggested to the boss that they could find some thinking work for me, as it isn't that I don't want to work, just I can't do their mindless stuff. Sadly he said they didn't have any work that involved thinking, and it turns out he had already made the call to the agent, but didn't mention this face to face. (Ironically a large part of the development of the mindless process was my doing which bit me in the arse severely. 8-) ) I've been called into the agency tomorrow morning. It's odd to have finished up this way because I feel I contributed far more than expected for most of the time. And it is not good timing of course, with three weeks to go and J not working either. But shit happens.

Other plans have changed also, and seem to be changing every day. We have had to can the Italy holiday, and will be returning to the UK as soon as the house-sit is done. We'll get established in the next place (Leeds/York unless something else comes up job-wise before then) then I'll leave J at home while I go to Italy to get the necessary pictures to finish off the book. Not how we planned the year, but needs must, as they say.

I got a nibble about guiding a group of Canadians around Cassino. I am just scoping their needs before deciding whether I can do it, but the opportunity is quite exciting.

We spent the last two weekends watching Scotland losing in the 6 Nations. Not at the grounds of course, but in a comfy pub. Amazing how people can arrive after kick-off and expect a prime view. I was constantly having to move people away from in front of our seats, only to see Scotland drop the ball time after time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Way.

That's not fair.

Anonymous said...

oh well, atleast it was your choice in the end...

Quentin Rowe said...

Clearly a man of integrity... You can always re-apply if you subject to a frontal lobotomy. Everything will be ok then! uh-huh uh-huh...