Wednesday 3 September 2008

Fireworks


I know more about laying pipes than I ever thought I would, though that's still not much at all. Actually the bigger lesson is how a database can fill with crap unless you have some tight controls on what goes into it. I've instituted some 'efficiencies' already, but the biggest hold-up is still the slow connection to the server. Today I hit my target of 23 investigations. Well, not really as we aren't making the changes we've recommended until our supervisors have checked our work, and that doesn't seem to have started yet.

The wargame is not going well. The Japs had a good Pearl Harbour raid but then I (as the Yanks & Allies) made a serious error and am trying to claw my way back from it. We're raiding the Japanese homeland (as Doolittle did historically) so we'll see how that goes. Meanwhile the Japs have cut off Samoa and blocked the trade route from the US to Australia. It'll take some effort to get that reopened...

J is settling in to work (see her blog from link to right -->) but it is a steep learning curve. I'm hoping she will bring home drugs to test on me.
We went to the end of Edinburgh Festival fireworks on Sunday, and they were quite spectacular. Click here to go and see some more pics.

1 comment:

Beat Babe said...

Ropey, I"ve lost yours and Judes email addresses. Could you please forward them to me at:

jade.olliver@otago.ac.nz

thanks